I have been wanting to test out a down jacket for a while now, and got this awesome one from Patagonia. Here is a video on my experience with the jacket.
There are three main things I really like about this jacket, the weight/size , comfortably, and the DWR coating. I’ll go over these after I go over all the features.
- The toughest, lightest-weight shell fabric patagonia has ever used for down garments; with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish
- 800-fill-power premium European goose down for low-bulk warmth
- Variegated channel construction stabilizes insulation and allows the use of less down, creating an elegant, low-profile garment
- Low-profile adjustable hood seals in warmth
- Two zippered handwarmer pockets; one zippered chest pocket
- Drawcord hem seals out cold and spindrift; self-fabric stuffsack
- Insulated with Traceable Down (non-live-plucked, non-force-fed)
- Shell and lining: 0.8-oz 10-denier 100% nylon ripstop, with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Insulation: 800-fill-power premium European goose down
- 263 g (9.3 oz)
Lets talk about the weight first. This jacket is CRAZY LIGHTWEIGHT. It comes in at 9.3 oz. They accomplish this a couple of ways, with the super light weight shell and fabric liner, the high quality 800 fill down, and the channel design allows for less use of down but doesn’t sacrifice warmth. The design of the jacket allows it to be compressed and packed in to a super small space.
This jacket is one of the most comfortable jackets I have worn. Because it is crazy lightweight you don’t even remember you are wearing anything. It breathes really easy. It is also super soft too. I have been wearing like almost full time since i got it. I wear all around town and in the field.
The DWR coating on this jacket is great. Last week I was geocaching in light rain and wind, this jacket preformed super great. The down didn’t get wet and I was warm. I was hiking around in the wind a light breeze the other day also and it blocked it. Paired with a shell like the Patagonia Piolet this will block out all the wind and snow you want.
I will test this jacket after more use and do a more in-depth review after a while.
Purchase this jacket right from Patagonia